We simply can’t let this year get away from us without resorting to (and then sharing) some good intentions and proper planning. And with that in mind, and the fact that 2021’s design trends are already arising, we decided to help brighten up the forthcoming year with some interior lighting tips (provided by some top-notch Lighting Designers).
1. Always remember natural light
Whichever room you decide to (re)design, consider daylight. This could influence the need for window treatment, such as switching from blinds to drapes to better control the light.
And remember that that the soft glow of candles and hearths are sure to add a welcoming ambience to any interior.
2. Be clever with energy usage
Why not impact your electricity bill in a more positive way by switching to LED lights? They outlast other types of bulbs, are much more energy efficient, are available in a wide range of colours and colour temperatures… need we continue?
3. Consider various types of lighting
While you’re switching to other bulbs, consider alternating the types of fixtures in your room/home. It’s the easiest way to include layered lighting in your final design. Common examples are:
• Ceiling-mounted fixtures: chandeliers, recessed can lights, track lights, pendants.
• Portable: table lamps, floor lamps, torchères.
• Wall-mounted fixtures: Sconces, cove lights.
4. Set the mood
Speaking of layered lighting, score full marks by including all three lighting levels:
• Accent lighting: Mostly for visual style and includes up lights or spot lights highlighting furnishings and décor.
• General ambient lighting: Intended to illuminate an entire room instead of select spots and can include chandeliers, table/floor lamps, and wall-mounted fixtures.
• Task lighting: Aimed at reading/working spaces and includes table lamps, under-cabinet designs, and pendants.